[code][/code]

Wifi Filtering

Discuss all World Wide Web, Internet and general networking news, reviews, problems etc.
Scotsdragon
Cadet
Cadet

Wifi Filtering

Post #1 by Scotsdragon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Do you want to give your wifi the best level of security?

an access list if the way to, i find it best to do my security by mac address filtering why because this is hard encoded onto each device as a unique identifier.

So only device mac that you have entered into your access list can connect to your wifi EVEN if they know or figure out the wifi password if the mac isnt in the list they wont be able to connect.

Im with virgin media and its very easy to do

1 Open up any browser on your computer type 192.168.0.1
2 enter your user name Admin and password default is changeme (you should obviously change this if you haven't)
3 click advance settings and click yes on the prompt box
4 click Primary wireless network (SSID1)
5 scroll down and you will see two options under (wirless mac filtering) Select deny all devices unless in the filter lists

Allow All Devices, unless in Wireless Filter List
Deny All Devices, unless in Wireless Filter List

6 in the add device tab give your devices a name, enter in the mac address (if you dont know how to find it google it) click apply

7 now join your wifi from your device with your password as normal and hey presto your done

(please make sure all mac's are added and applied :)

OverFienD
El Presidente
El Presidente

Re: Wifi Filtering

Post #2 by OverFienD » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:26 pm

Good info, thanks for the share Mark..
i7-4790k//MSI Z97 MPOWER
8GB G-Skill DDR3-2666//R9 290 Windforce OC

CPU-i3 4130 @3.4//Asrock H81M-ITX
Case-Coolermaster 120
//PNY Geforce 460 GTX 1GB
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971927155/

kkn_
Corporal
Corporal

Post #3 by kkn_ » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:31 am

mac addresses can be made up too if one know how to do so.

ive seen ppl hack wifi by changing mac and passwords in modem if one want to put the work in to it.

zoomee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #4 by zoomee » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:11 pm

MAC spoofing is quite commonly used by hackers, so using MAC address control is a fruitless exercise.
If someone wants to get in to a wireless network- with a little time and effort they will do. It's called packet sniffing, which reveals a lot about your network security unfortunately.

Best thing to do is don't hide your SSID (it's like asking for trouble lol), use WPA2 with AES Encryption with a strong password (6 digit minimum, alphanumerics etc)
4960x@4.7 / 16Gb@2400 / R9 290 / Custom W/C

Scotsdragon
Cadet
Cadet

Post #5 by Scotsdragon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Hidden SSID's can be detected all it does is ask you for the ssid then your password, as im an HND networking student i know about packed sniffing and such. Any network or password can be broken eventually, WPA2 is good but AES requires you to do alot of setup most normal people wouldn't want to attempt they could use WPA2-PSK its a abit stronger and less hassle to setup.

zoomee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #6 by zoomee » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Scotsdragon wrote:Hidden SSID's can be detected all it does is ask you for the ssid then your password, as im an HND networking student i know about packed sniffing and such. Any network or password can be broken eventually, WPA2 is good but AES requires you to do alot of setup most normal people wouldn't want to attempt they could use WPA2-PSK its a abit stronger and less hassle to setup.

WPA2-PSK = WPA2-Personal
It can be set to use either TKIP or AES encryption.

AES is the option to use for the best level of security for the average user.
4960x@4.7 / 16Gb@2400 / R9 290 / Custom W/C

Return to “Internet & Networking”