Asus Rampage V Extreme vs ASUS X99-E WS

The place to discuss all topics relating to Motherboards and RAM.

Asus Rampage V Extreme vs ASUS X99-E WS

Post #1 by Matsglobetrotter » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:49 pm

I keep comparing the specifications on the Asus Rampage V Extreme vs ASUS X99-E WS and still cant make up my mind which actually would be performance wise better. I know the Rampage comes with more bells and wistles but im only after the brute performance as comparasin in a good Watercooling situation. Thus no LN.

What I can see on the specs doing OC should be more or less the same on both when it comes to CPU and Memory. However when it comes to Graphics the Rampage can only do 16x8x8x8 in SLI or crossfire while the E WS can do 16x16x16x16 unless one uses an M.2 SSD as then it would be 16x16x16x8?

Now lets say I would configure 4 x Nvidia GTX 980s and run those at same speed in both configurations. When and where would I see the difference between the two cards?

I will start my new build until January so there might be more MB options then, who knows, but I will stay on ASUS.

Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 and la macchina ASUS X99E-WS, 5960X, Galax GTX 980Ti HOF, G.Skill 3400 DDR4, EVGA1300 G2 Powersupply, Corsair 900D, EKWB XE480,Samsung SSD 850 EVO, D5-pump. Copper tubing, Corsair K70 RGB, EK-Supremacy EVO

Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Re: Asus Rampage V Extreme vs ASUS X99-E WS

Post #2 by Hivizman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:14 pm

Unless you are clocking your board close to 7GHz and your graphic cards are all at three times the default frequency the PCI lanes are not going to make any difference to you. The WS is a very solid and good board and one that I would select for your needs. The RVE is temperamental like a thoroughbred race horse. You need to put quite a bit of effort and time into getting it dialled in right. The WS will offer the same performance without the fuss.

Keep your nuts safe

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
Sir Winston Churchill

Re: Asus Rampage V Extreme vs ASUS X99-E WS

Post #3 by Pulse88 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:56 pm

I have both boards Ws is better in quality.

Ws board
+Oc on SS is as god on RVE
+4 cards with x16 pci express 3.0 in cf/sli
+its pure quality vs RVE
+better power dilivery cpu/mem
+ special slots for pci ssd

- bad bios support for high memspeeds vs RVE
-bios glitches when apply oc vs RVE
-no control for windows oc vs RVE
-not as god layout with start, reset botums as RVE when running Quad sli/cf

Return to “Motherboards & RAM”