[code][/code]

M-Power MK II

Discuss and share your customised PCs, modifications and other projects.
Matsglobetrotter
Cadet
Cadet

M-Power MK II

Post #1 by Matsglobetrotter » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:50 pm

I spent a few nights putting it together and then about a week getting used to the X99 platform while benching it.
The CPU is water-cooled with while the GPU runs on air-cooling.

The composition is as follows
ASUS X99-E WS
INTEL 5960X Malaysian production
G.SKill F4 3400 Q16 4 x 4GB
GALAX GTX980Ti HOF
EK Supremacy EVO copper
EK Coolstream XE 480 radiator
Corsair SP120 High effiency fans max 2350rpm
D5 pump
Bitspower D5 Mod kit top black
Bitspower 260mm Tube reservoir
EVGA 1300 G2 powersupply
ASUS BW 15
ASUS RAIDR Express 230 GB /800 MB/s PCIE
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500 GB
BILTEMA cooper tubing chromed 12 mm O.D
Bitspower G1/4 Matt black multilinks
Corsair K70 RGB keyboard
SAMSUNG 28" 4K screen
Corsair 900D Case

The X99- E WS
Having read a lot of not so nice comments on the board on overclockers as many could net to get the ram to work at very high speed I was a bit worried. Having plugged everything in I wanted the system boots uip at 3.0Ghz with no turbo and Ram at 2133 DDR.
The first thing I had to do was simply turn the board off and push one switch out of default mode and to allow bios to do autoconfing on BCLK and xratio for processor. Then back in to bios and push up the turbo to the basic starting point 3.9 GHz. Mainly to see how the bios and system worked. the machine was muchg happaier and started top behave :-)
I could boot up to 4816 MHz and run HWbot Prime at 1.399 Volts but could see that I would need even more juice to keep it stable. The score I got was 8675.99 with 85th place. For XTU I managed 2269 points 255 place out of the 500 or so scores on the bot that was done on 4620 Mhz.
On Cinebench 15 I could get 1842 points at 4708 Mhz with 1.359 Volt which I consider decent.

Memory
I noticed the bios had auto set the BCLK to 125 Mhz and I assume the same for the strap which was still in auto. With the BCLK on 125 I could also turn on the XMP mode for the 3400 RAM but it would just crash with the memory not found ofcourse treying to set the 3400 Mhz range. I thus used the XMP settings but reduced the ram setting to 2600 as a starting point.
Pushing up the Ram voltage to 1.35V both on initial and eventual and setting the power ratio to 130% for the Ram I managed to get the RAM up to 3054 with a clockspeed of 1527MHz with out any BSOD.
The maximum Maxxmem readscore 25121 MBytes/sec at 17-18-18-18-39 2T

Graphics
Hmmmm..... Sorry GALAX/KFA but the GTX780Ti HOF is a piece of s^^%$#. With so mych hype about being for overclockers and even have a dual bios switch on the board I was expecting a bit more.
- there is no mention of the bios switch function in the manual.. Thus should be in our out when flashing a new bios? or either will do?
- the fans...... Ok so I want to see what the card has interms of cojones as it is so turn up the fans to max in the software. The fans start rviong up .. nicee but then every 10 -15 seconds it cuts out the speed and re-start from low speed. Now try run HEAVEN with that going on and seeing the GPU temperature jum a degree each time that happens indeed lead to reboot of the GPU. No wonder. Found on overclockers that this is generic issue with Galax. Fine should do an RMA...... I bought the card while on a mission in Bangkok so fat chance of that.
- the software... Well you can set 1.2 Volts in the software Nice...... oooops the software set it back to 1.162V once the button is clicked. oh well.

In clocking I managed to get a Firestrike score of 18217 which is in the middle of the 980Ti scores 57 out of 94 scores. the GPU was then OC at 1283Mhz Which means the card is only 1500 points shy of my old 780Tis in SLI both under water. Thus the nvidia gpu is quite something..
Now if the fan controller had not been mad I am sure I could down some even better scores on this.
Now I bought the E-WS with a plan for a 4x SLI which I will get onto later on but I can see that clearly it wont be the Galax brand in my machine for the 4xSLI under water that I am planning.
Otherwise the looks of the HOF card is nice with the whitew cover and the lit up Hall of Fame logo. Match very nmicelyt irrespective which color I choose on my RBG led loop in the box.

Copper Tubing for the loops
I wanted this more robust look in my machine so thought I would try use copper tubing instead of just normal acryclic hardline tubes. Chromed copper tubes at that.
A few thing you notice with doing so
- The ben radius of copper tubing will be about double compared to acrylic tubing which poses a challenge if you mount the radiator in the top as done wrong you wont get your RAM in or out.
- Cutting a 10 cm tube in shorter pieces is impossible as you cant get the grip firm to cut it with a normal tube cutter and you cant usa a vice as there is no chance in hell you will then get the connector top onto the tube nor get the tube into the connector bottom part.
- the measuring of the bends are much more difficult compare dto using the simple mandril solutions used for acrylic tubing.
- you need to probably need higher temps than 30 C to not crack the chroming on the tubes when bending the copper tubes.
- doing an x -y bend and then a z bend on the same tube is difficult for example as outlet of CPU to radiator on top.
However a little difficult is not something to be afraid of is it hehe :-)

Conclusion
Overall one week of tweaking and benching the system I am quite happy with the performance. I have now tweaked the system back to 4624 Mhz at 1.380 Volts with the RAM at 3000 DDR and leave the GPU at default speed for now. Thats were I will use it for the regular usage I wanted it for.

Overall scores

Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 and la macchina ASUS X99E-WS, 5960X, Galax GTX 980Ti HOF, G.Skill 3400 DDR4, EVGA1300 G2 Powersupply, Corsair 900D, EKWB XE480,Samsung SSD 850 EVO, D5-pump. Copper tubing, Corsair K70 RGB, EK-Supremacy EVO

Return to “Customising, Modding & Project builds”