[code][/code]

CPU Paste.... What does everyone use?

The place to discuss all CPU/APU topics.
Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

CPU Paste.... What does everyone use?

Post #1 by Phill » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:38 pm

At the moment I'm using up whats left of my MX2 paste which I'm rather unimpressed with.. It doesn't spread very well and when I do try to spread it, it sticks to my finger and I wipe it off not around the CPU!! Very frustrating...

Could anyone suggest a better paste? Also if I do any sub zero cooling (might be a while off but just for future reference :)) what would be best to use? Could I use one paste that would do both or would I have to have separate pastes because of the difference in temps?

Many thanks for your help and guidance in advance as always :)

TX-OC
Private
Private

Re: CPU Paste.... What does everyone use?

Post #2 by TX-OC » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:32 am

I personally think that mx-2 is a good paste.

If you want some cheap-ish paste that you could use for both, sub zero and standard cooling, i recommend arctic silver ceramique
Lenovo T430
1600x900 60hz (internal) + 1680x1050 120hz (external)
500gb 850 EVO
Core i5-3320M
HD 4000 + HD7970 MATRIX EGPU [GDC Beast]

Steering wheel: Logitech Driving Force GT

ObscureParadox
Corporal
Corporal

Post #3 by ObscureParadox » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:40 am

Cermaique is what I use for single stage and Dry Ice testing since you can buy it in huge quantities really cheap, but for LN2 you've only really got GC-Extreme and Thermal Grizzly. Personally I don't see what the huge fuss about grizzly is and you can get GC-Extreme much cheaper, so I'd go for that.

kimandsally
Corporal
Corporal

Post #4 by kimandsally » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:51 am

I use the Gelid GC-Extreme but I only use water 8 Pack used to use this before thermal grizzly, we used thermal grizzly at Cambridge and I found it much easier to apply than the GC-Extreme but the grizzly has 3 variants Air Water and below zero so I think you would have to buy 2 different packs.
I don't know the difference in temps as I have not got the grizzly at home, I'm almost tempted to try the water version but my wallet is saving for more hardware instead.

ScunnyUK
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #5 by ScunnyUK » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:26 pm

Im not sure I buy into all these expensive pastes. Up until Skylake I have never had an issue using Artic Cerimique for all types of benchin, sure maybe some pastes will shave X *c's off the temp under air or water cooling but I feel there are alot of variables that also play into it with these types of cooling too such as ambients and particularly how "well" its mounted. When it comes to subzero cooling and especially extreme (ln2) cooling my personal feeling is.. (at least my personal feeling with older hardware up to Ivybridge).. when its cold its cold and everything is frozen so how can that frozen bit of paste be making any difference to the temps or the benchin? Other than making sure there is a complete contact between pot and ihs as it is supposed to do what other difference can it be making??

Rauf
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #6 by Rauf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:55 pm

The actual die in skylake cpus is really small. Perhaps 50 % of haswell. This is why thermal paste is so important with skylake. And it is really important! Even with kryonaut it is a bit tricky to not crack the paste and if you do your benching session is more or less over. Even if you heat up you will likely get the crack again.

Then there is also die temps to consider. Der8auer have tested extensively and the delta between pot and die will be quite high under heavier load with bad pastes.

It's a no brainer to get kryonaut for skylake considering the costa of everything else. Older hw, gelid will be good enough for...

Doug2507
Private
Private

Post #7 by Doug2507 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:19 pm

What Rauf said, Kryo is now proven better than the rest for Skylake on cold. Fact.

For normal duties PK-3 has been my go to for ages now. Easy spread and keeps good temp.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #8 by Phill » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:56 pm

Guys thanks so much for all the replies :D

Is it possible someone could link me to a few products so I can test and give them a go? If I can then buy bigger tubes (like I did with the MX2 in a 20G thingy) I would do that rather than more small ones but its no big deal if this isn't possible..

Once again, thank you everyone for the great replies :D

ScunnyUK
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #9 by ScunnyUK » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Overclockers have finally got the 11g tubes of Grizzly Kryo back in stock, they have big massive tubs of the PK Zero and also have the 25g tubes of Ceramique for £5 (plus postage)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productl ... 1&catid=27

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #10 by Phill » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:59 pm

Many thanks :D I think I have used the Ceramique before, if I recall it was hard to spread if it was cold.. Is there any others to try? I'm only benching on 939 chips at the moment, so I hope to use up the MX2 I have and get something better later on.. It's not nice stuff to spread but the temps seem ok :) But if I'm worried about 2C difference between paste, then surely my cooling must be more of a concern than the paste.... :)

ScunnyUK
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #11 by ScunnyUK » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:20 pm

stick the tube in a cup of hot water for a minute or 2 if the paste is cold or hard to spread, softens it up nicely :D

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #12 by Phill » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:54 pm

When the MX2 has gone I think I'll see what I can find on offer :) I've a fair few CPUs to test at the moment, so I hope I can get rid of most of it if not all of it :D

I'm sure that the Ceramique will do for some basic water cooling testing :) The GC-Extreme stuff, do they do bigger tubes of it that will make it a little cheaper in the long run or is it just the 3.5g tubes you buy it in?

Return to “CPUs & APUs”