[code][/code]

Skylake De-lid

The place to discuss all CPU/APU topics.
nickolp1974
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Skylake De-lid

Post #1 by nickolp1974 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:09 pm

It seems as though Intel are using rubbish TIM between the IHS and die again, an 18c drop in temps once the delid procedure has been performed, click HERE for more details.

setter
Sergent
Sergent

Re: Skylake De-lid

Post #2 by setter » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:51 am

Apparently mate they're not even good clocking chips. 4 5/6ghz average on 1 300v with high end air. Nor much better with water. A mediocre 4790k will do at least 4.7 on 1.300v. An absolute fail of a chip. All it has done us up sales of the 5820k. You would have to be mental to buy a 6700k based setup.
i7 5820k @4.4ghz, Msi mpower x99
16gb gskill ripjaw 4 3000mhz c15
Msi gtx 980ti 6g, Phanteks enthoo primo
Asus ROG swift, ozone strike pro kb, G500 mouse

Hivizman
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Post #3 by Hivizman » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:48 am

setter wrote: You would have to be mental to buy a 6700k based setup.

Or a bencher, guess that is the same thing.

Keep your nuts safe

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
Sir Winston Churchill

setter
Sergent
Sergent

Post #4 by setter » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:13 am

Hivizman wrote:

Or a bencher, guess that is the same thing.
lol, quite possibly true.I can definitely see the appeal for those who bench a lot. New kit just on the market opens up so many new possibilities. It will indeed be interesting to see what people can get out of them. Gotta admit, some of the new motherboards look fantastic. The high end msi offering and the return of the Maximus extreme to the Asus lineup.

Gregster
Captain
Captain

Post #5 by Gregster » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:34 pm

Benching should be interesting but why do they insist on putting piss poor TIM between the IHS and chip? Sucks
3930K @ 4.625 - Tri SLI Titans - RIVF - 16GB Avexir 2133Mhz
EVGA 1300W G2 - XSPC H2 case - Fully water cooled with EK/XSPC
Asus ROG Swift Monitor - Logitech G19/G502/G25 peripherals

borandi
Private
Private

Post #6 by borandi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:36 am

setter wrote:You would have to be mental to buy a 6700k based setup.

In testing it got a +25% IPC over Sandy/2600K and +37% at stock, some benchmarks +80% due to better instruction sets.
I'd argue that the Z170 chipset now affords a lot of opportunities for PCIe storage and controller management so you're not dealing a mobo that disables XYZ when ABC is installed/in use. Ultimately makes it more flexible and you don't have to worry about stuff being disabled because you'll use anything else.
DDR4 is also a push, with higher density modules on the mainstream.
It's not really an upgrade for 4790K, Intel's latest stuff is really targeted at those 4/5 year old platforms, especially when it comes to CPU performance and making the whole thing snappy. Better connectivity on the mobo (USB 3.1 / Thunderbolt) is just icing on the cake.

As for delidding, I'm interested to see more results on this. See if people can easily get to 5G on an average chip with the temperature headroom for 24/7.

Benching should be interesting but why do they insist on putting piss poor TIM between the IHS and chip? Sucks

1) Because TIM quality doesn't matter on non-K CPUs. If you can't OC, the temp at load is what you get.
2) Save 0.1 cents on TIM per CPU, make 100 million CPUs, saved a lot of money
3) Small possibility of a Devil's Canyon type upgrade in the future possibly, though Intel aren't saying anything. So you then have to go out and buy the 6790K! :D
Gaming: http://steamcommunity.com/id/borandi/
Reviews: http://anandtech.com/Author/140
>A Source of Cheap Hardware. Sometimes. What are you after?

huddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post #7 by huddy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:43 pm

nickolp1974 wrote:It seems as though Intel are using rubbish TIM between the IHS and die again, an 18c drop in temps once the delid procedure has been performed, click HERE for more details.

Seriously? Why would they do that to us :(

borandi
Private
Private

Post #8 by borandi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:28 pm

So there's another argument coming to light. One of the problems with Haswell, apart from the low quality TIM, was the amount - not enough for the space between die and heatspreader.
Skylake is actually shorter in height than Haswell - it is using less layers in the PCB.
This means the heatspreader has to be taller to be the same contact height for CPU coolers and the overall height (CPU + IHS) is the same.
If Intel is using the same volume of TIM in Skylake as it is in Haswell, then there's more of an air gap inside the processor
Meaning worse heat transfer.

Both Splave and PCWatch seemed to get 18ºC better results with new TIM that is better applied. Link
Looks like everyone better learn to delid if they don't already

Hivizman
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Post #9 by Hivizman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:48 pm

*I wonder if this is a deliberate ploy by Intel. Put real rubbish TM in the CPU and then the OC's and the wannabe performance brigade will remove the IHS and redo the TM. Warranty gone, and who are the lads most likely to RMA a CPU, yip the performance brigade.

*This is not to be taken seriously it is a bit of tongue in cheek there is no way that Intel would be that cold.

Keep your nuts safe

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
Sir Winston Churchill

setter
Sergent
Sergent

Post #10 by setter » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:44 pm

I read somewhere, (memory fails me on where though) that the reasons for not soldering the ihs on ib, hw and sl was that the intel engineers had issues with poor adhesion and cracking issues. How much truth there is to this ive no idea tbh. But the cynical part in me reckons it's simply a cost cutting measure. They should bring the guys from coollabs onboard, paste the k chips with liquid metal, sure it would add a few quid per unit. But they'd still sell well. It's like buying a ferrari only to find it has breaks from a bicycle. :lol:

borandi
Private
Private

Post #11 by borandi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:09 pm

Hivizman wrote:*I wonder if this is a deliberate ploy by Intel. Put real rubbish TM in the CPU and then the OC's and the wannabe performance brigade will remove the IHS and redo the TM. Warranty gone, and who are the lads most likely to RMA a CPU, yip the performance brigade.
*This is not to be taken seriously it is a bit of tongue in cheek there is no way that Intel would be that cold.

Technically don't they still sell that 'overclocker's warranty' in the US?

Hivizman
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Post #12 by Hivizman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am

Yes they do but I am pretty sure that is void if you de-lid a CPU. Maybe wrong there.

Keep your nuts safe

Sir Winston Churchill

Return to “CPUs & APUs”