[code][/code]

290x oddness (no data (clocks, ect))

Discuss all things relating to pixel pushers.
TheGingerKid
Cadet
Cadet

290x oddness (no data (clocks, ect))

Post #1 by TheGingerKid » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:49 am

so anyone wana chip in and give some ideas on what to do to possibly fix this random issue
backstory , i got this card for free a year or so ago and since have upgraded to a 980ti ... well the idea was to use this as a folding card and then one day it totally stopped working flat out. so tonight i went and plugged it back in to see if by some weird miracle is would work again and .... YES it showed up in my device list and even started to fold ! (victory , right?) well then i started to look at data .... and well thats where it all sorta went to S***
example a:
odd , right ?
but yet it IS working
example b:

so my question is , anyone know what could be issue ? or possible things to try to get it to work right ? (no rma ,outa warranty ages ago lol)

so well thanks in advance , cheers
(and happy new year everyone , hope its a gooder)

Henkenator68NL
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: 290x oddness (no data (clocks, ect))

Post #2 by Henkenator68NL » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi,

Bbeat wishes to you to!

Regarding your GPU:
From the looks of it some driver issue.

Question : how did you install the drivers for the R9-290X? What was previously installed un this sytem (gpu department).

Depending on the answer, there arw some things to try so let us kbow.
[tab=30][tab=30]Image
[tab=30][tab=30][tab=30]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGILH-TAxOozS67iX3HXDiw
[tab=190]Carpe Diem

TheGingerKid
Cadet
Cadet

Post #3 by TheGingerKid » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Henkenator68NL wrote:Hi,

Bbeat wishes to you to!

Regarding your GPU:
From the looks of it some driver issue.

Question : how did you install the drivers for the R9-290X? What was previously installed un this sytem (gpu department).

Depending on the answer, there arw some things to try so let us kbow.

It was a clean install of drivers off amds website (Crimson I believe) for this install of Windows , been using my 980ti for my 3displays, other wise the only card setups I've run was dual 290x , single 980 and single 980ti
It appears the card doesn't get recognized by the system at all anymore (won't show up in the device manager .-. Odd

and now its showing up again with all data (as long as i have a monitor plugged in ... it does display images fine ect too .... wtf

Frenzic
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #4 by Frenzic » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:04 pm

Have you tried reflashing/updating a bios to it? Could be a corrupt bios or something :? They can be found on techpowerup. Probably worth a shot if u havent tried it already, and you have tried every thing else dude :)
i7-4930K @ 4.4GHz|ASUS RIVF|Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti WF OC SLI|
16GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz|Corsair H80i|Corsair RM1000|
OCZ-Vertex450 256GB SSD|Corsair Carbide 500R|BenQ XL2720T

TheGingerKid
Cadet
Cadet

Post #5 by TheGingerKid » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:08 am

Frenzic wrote:Have you tried reflashing/updating a bios to it? Could be a corrupt bios or something :? They can be found on techpowerup. Probably worth a shot if u havent tried it already, and you have tried every thing else dude :)

been awhile since i tried re-flashing the bios on this card (i've had a lot of my own personal bios' on it lol)
ill give it a shot :P

oh and is it just me or does that 12v rail look low ?

Henkenator68NL
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #6 by Henkenator68NL » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Before flashing etc check my list to see if you did all this:
90% sure it's driver isue

Switching to a new / different gpu / adding similar for crossfire always force me to do way more than just reinstall the catalyst drivers.. this is a know issue..

First of all remove any AND ALL gpu overclocking software (afterburner, Gputweak, trixx etc). Remove = completely uninstalled, my preferred helper is Revo Uninstaller (its paid version, but worth every penny). Check your OS drive if all folders are gone also. Same goes for GPU-Z, uninstall before proceeding.

Remove AMD or NVIDIA drivers:
step 1:
I set my system to boot in safe mode, go to device manager. remove any gpu's present including the removal of software.

Step 2:
I reboot my system and download (or have already downloaded the latest version) of DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller).

Step 3.
I run DDu, it asks me to reboot in safe mode once again. Reboot in safe mode now DDU Starts Up . Choose option remove and clean any remaining display driver software and reboot.

Step 4.
I go to explorer and delete the folder called AMD (on the OS drive) OR NVIDIA

Step 5 I install the prefered version of Catalyst I need for that moment.
I reboot my system after the install of catalyst is done.
Step 6 (if using Crossfired setup)
I run through my registery to disable ULPS ... Crossfire doesnt even function properly if this is not done. Why cant i do this in Catalyst...

Step 7
I reboot my system... Now finally everything is in top condition to fully enjoy the use of the display drivers..
[tab=30][tab=30]Image
[tab=30][tab=30][tab=30]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGILH-TAxOozS67iX3HXDiw
[tab=190]Carpe Diem

Frenzic
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #7 by Frenzic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:22 am

Yeah try that, a good clean and a reinstall, and flashing it if nothing else works, but try everything else first buddy. I think the 12v rail looks ok, i think there is a margin just above and just below, +/- 5% and it can go as low as 11.4v but i think you would get problems that low :)
i7-4930K @ 4.4GHz|ASUS RIVF|Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti WF OC SLI|
16GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz|Corsair H80i|Corsair RM1000|
OCZ-Vertex450 256GB SSD|Corsair Carbide 500R|BenQ XL2720T

Return to “Graphics Cards”