[code][/code]

The retro console thread

Console gaming discussions. (No PC gaming talk)
Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

The retro console thread

Post #1 by Bones » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:34 am

I was goofing off with one of my retro consoles today and was having a blast.
Setup my old NES toploader and popped in a few games to be sure they still worked OK. I ended up playing "Solar Jetman" most of the evening and was still pretty good at it - Just as fun now as it was back then.

Speaking of retro consoles, I have the mentioned toploader NES along with a SNES, Sega Dreamcast, PSX, PS2, and an Xbox, all consoles are in working order.
If I were to try and make a list of all the games I have it would take some time to get done, used to use these for killing time back then and bought at least my fair share if not more of games for these. As you might expect I have some hard to find or just outright rare games here - The selection I have though runs the gamut except for sports games, never was much into sports-based games at all.

Here's a few examples:
I do have Chrono Trigger for SNES, that one is a sought after game - Can be found easily enough on Fleabay but expect to pay more for it than you would for the average cartridge you'd see for SNES.
I have Xenogears for PSX along with the other subsequent titles that followed on PS2 related to it, Xenosaga's 1,2 and 3.
Both Wing Commander releases for SNES AND for PSX too. The PSX versions could have been much better but you've all heard or seen how bad it gets, playing it on a PS2 does nothing to improve it at all.

I have basically every FF from the first all the way up to FFX except for the one called "Mystic Quest".
This includes the "Tactics" version and all rewind/re-releases made for PSX which were ports of the ones not available originally released outside of Japan.

Let's hear about what some of you guys have - Be it what you had, still have, wish you had or whatnot. 8-)

OverFienD
El Presidente
El Presidente

Re: The retro console thread

Post #2 by OverFienD » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:33 pm

My first console was a Nintendo(NES)8 bit.
It had included, the all time great which is SuperMario Bros and Duck hunt.(i used to play on a Atari 2600 but i never owned one :( my mate next door did :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7dBtVNcxiQ
CPU: 8-bit 6502 NMOS (1.79MHz)
RAM: 2KB (16Kb), 2KB Video RAM
Colors: 52 (24 on screen)
Sprites: 64
Sprite Size: 8x16 pixels
Resolution: 256x240 pixels
Sound: PSG audio
Next console was probably my favourite all time console, the Super Nintendo 16bit.I remember getting it one Xmas, after showing my mum and dad so many pictures of it in the club books.It had to be the Street Fighter II bundle.
I Don't think i moved all Xmas day,all i know is my brain hurted when i went to bed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qAPbXNq0dc
CPU: 16-bit 65816 (3.58MHz)
RAM: 128KB (1Mb), 64KB (0.5Mb) Video RAM
Graphics: Dedicated graphics processor
Colors: 32768 (256 on screen)
Sprites: 128
Sprite Size: 64x64 pixels
Resolution: 512x448 pixels
Sound: 8-channel 8-bit Sony SPC700 digitized sound
Staying with Nintendo i bought the N64 64 bit, it was the first console to use the analogue stick controller which made 3d games like Mario 64,and fps like Goldeneye very playable.You could also upgrade the memory slot with a 4mb card to give you hi res graphics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKEL4cUTOI4
CPU: 64-bit R4300i RISC (93.75MHz) / 64-bit data paths, registers with 5-stage pipelining
Co-processor: 64-bit RISC (62.5MHz)
RAM: 4MB (36Mb) upgradeable
Graphics: Pixel Drawing Processor (RDP) built into co-processor
Colors: 16.7 million (32,000 on screen)
Polygons: 150,000 per second
Resolution: 640x480 pixels
Sound: 16 to 24-channel 16-bit stereo (up to 100 PCM channels possible)
i7-4790k//MSI Z97 MPOWER
8GB G-Skill DDR3-2666//R9 290 Windforce OC

CPU-i3 4130 @3.4//Asrock H81M-ITX
Case-Coolermaster 120
//PNY Geforce 460 GTX 1GB
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971927155/

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #3 by Bones » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:57 pm

Nice stuff!

I also over time managed to aquire some accessories for these including some Game Genie's and Game Sharks, even have one of those V-Mem memory modules for PSX that works fine.

One of the Game Sharks I have is well - Weird but in a good way.
For example it was said that certain codes would not work with XX version and older such as accessing the debug room in Xenogears but this one DOES inspite of it being listed as one (v 2.3) that shoudn't do it. I also had two of the newer Sharks ( V3.1 + V3.2 ) with the newest not being able to do any of this kind of stuff, the 3.1 being able to do some but the 2.3 so far has done it all without fail.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #4 by ALXAndy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:06 pm

I used to have a Super UFO for my SNES and DR V64 for my N64 so I didn't have to pay for games :D It was hard getting N64 roms in those days though. They took hours to download and then you had to burn them X2 to a CD lol.

I recently downloaded several hundred N64 roms, and have been using SixtyForce on my MAC. Just need a controller now...
Alienware Area 51 2014.

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #5 by Bones » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:13 pm

If you could ever get your hands on a Game Doctor, you'd be set.

Return to “Console Gaming”